M8 M73 M74 Network Improvements
- 2014 - 2017
- Under construction
- Upgrade to existing road under motorway restrictions
- £ 53m
- Transport Scotland
- Region: Scotland
- Scottish Government
This scheme aims to improve safety and reduce congestion on the motorway network surrounding the Baillieston (M8/M73) and Maryville (M73/M74) Interchanges. It also forms the link between a number of improvements to the motorway network in this area (M80 Stepps to Haggs, M74 Completion, M8 Baillieston to Newhouse), and is therefore expected to improve traffic flow between these projects.
The package of junction and road improvements includes the following:
1. Widening the M8 eastbound to four lanes from J10 (Easterhouse) to J8 (Baillieston).
2. Widening the M73 to four lanes each way between the Ballieston and Maryville Interchanges.
3. Widening the M74 to four lanes each way between junctions 3 (Daldowie) and 5 (Raith). The southbound M74 will be widened to four lanes as far as junction 6 (Hamilton).
This scheme will be combined with the M8 Baillieston to Newhouse and M74 J5 (Raith) Improvement and delivered as a single contract.
|30 March 2012||The procurement process starts today.|
|2 July 2015||This scheme is now under construction.|
|17 December 2015||The new section of A725 near Shawhead is now surfaced all the way to the new bridge.|
- Official website
- Transport Scotland: M8 M73 M74 Motorway Improvements
With thanks to Graham Elder, David Peek and Michael Pritchard for information on this page.
This scheme was last updated on 18 December 2015.